I had planned to post this recipe on Tuesday, but with the move to Basel and the problems with the internet in the new apartment, I haven’t been able to post this until today.
This recipe is technically called Risi e Bisi, but in our family we call it Reazy Peazy. It is one of our favorite side dishes because its simple to make and absolutely delicious! With melted Parmesan cheese and baby peas, this rice dish is a total comfort food!
|Risi e Bisi with Rack of Lamb Persillade.|
Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup of dry rice (I used a wild rice blend)
- 2 cups of chicken or poultry broth (I used turkey broth)
- 1 cup of baby peas
- Scallions/Green Onions
- Parmesean cheese
- butter or olive oil
Here’s how you do it:
1. Chop up the scallions/green onions. I like to slice the whites fairly thin and the greens thickly.
|Chopping the onions!|
2. Saute the scallions/green onions in some butter (or olive oil if you want a healthier dish) until they begin to slightly brown.
|I love the smell of melted butter!|
3. Add the rice to the pot and stir, allowing the rice to be covered in the remaining butter (or olive oil). Let the rice warm up in the pot (and maybe get a little toasty color… it depends on the type of rice that you’re using.)
|Adding the rice.|
4. Next, add in the 2 cups of broth to the pot and let it come to a rolling boil. Cover, and turn the heat to low (so that it can simmer). Let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Add the peas and allow to sit and simmer for another 10 minutes.
|Adding the broth.|
5. Sprinkle in the Parmesan cheeses and stir.
|Say cheese: Stirring in the cheese!|